FACCE MACSUR proposes Flagship topic 'Climate change and food security'
MACSUR has been successful in advancing agricultural systems modelling capacities across several disciplines. In addition, it has brought together these disciplines to perform integrated regional assessments of climate change risks in relation to selected farming systems within Europe.
Achieving food and nutrition security under climate change is a major societal challenge that requires further and more intense scientific and stakeholder collaboration now that the Paris agreement has been reached. Looking ahead beyond 2017, the leadership team of MACSUR proposed a European Flagship on the broader topic of food and nutrition security under climate change. European Flagships are major research investments on the scale of 1 bn euro over ten years. So far, our proposed topic is among the top three.
In order to keep the MACSUR topic at the top of the list, please vote for it on the Futurium platform (click on the stars below the discussion item – registration required: step-by-step instructions [MACSUR flagship brochure for distribution]).
You can read further thoughts on the flagship in IIASA's Nexus blog.
About 60 organisations from industry and research and government agencies across Europe had been invited to write position papers on the topics until 15 November. On 15 December 2016, the EU Commission held a round table where the position papers were discussed. The the topics have been clustered in three groups: "ICT for connected society", "Health and life science" and "Environment, climate and energy", without ranking any. Environment, climate and energy includes our topic. The others are "Technologies for Energy: Direct conversion of Solar Energy", "Computing and modelling: Forecasting the energy demand, consumptions and price", "HPC platform for developing very high resolution models of the climate", "Computing, modelling & simulation for understanding the earth system".
The clusters will be narrowed by the EU Commission, guided by the FETBoard of Funders, in selecting 4-6 candidate topics that are eligible for funded preparatory actions in H2020 calls 2018-2020. The most advanced one or two actions will be eligible for further funding as a Flagship after 2020.
1. Register at Futurium, and fill in your personal details.
2. After submitting your information, wait for the confirmation e-mail.
3. Click on the link in the e-mail. It will take you back to the page with the flagship proposal.
4. Scroll down and click on the stars (the more to the right, the better) next to the name of Carla Moris, as shown below. Carla Moris is the moderator who monitors this discussion.
5. Please leave a comment (farther down on the same page) to enhance the impact of your vote. Here, you can also rate other people's comments with stars.
6. Log out.
7. Forward our proposal and the link to others :)